Thursday, January 3, 2013

Harris Teeter Super Doubles 1/2/12-1/8/12

Okay as I promised, I am here to teach you the in's and out's of super double grocery shopping!

What are super doubles? 

First you should know that Harris Teeter and Lowes Food always double coupons under $0.99; which is a great deal for higher value coupons ($0.75-$0.99), especially matched up with sales.  The key to being a good "couponer" is to always combine coupons with sales!  Also you MUST have a store savings card, in this case a VIC card.  Please remember this when you shop.  Just because you have a coupon, doesn't mean you should every pay full price for anything.

Now on to what makes double coupons "super".  Once every 6-8 weeks or so, Harris Teeter (and sometimes Lowes Food) run a week long special that doubles ALL coupons $2 or less. This can be a wonderful thing since, $2 off a single item, doubled to $4, is often FREE.  I save up all my high value coupons for this week.

Harris Teeter allows you to double up to 20 coupons a day, per household. They will double up to three identical items with manufacturer coupons.  You may use additional coupons, but they will not be doubled.  They will only double 2 internet coupons for an identical product, per day. Again, you can buy more of the same product and use your internet coupons, they just won't double. Overwhelmed yet?  Just wait until I throw in savingstar, ibotta, rain checks, and ZVRs, then your head will really be spinning.  I will wait until another day to explain these money saving sources to you!  Don't want to blow your mind on my first real blog post.

Deals I got this week:

Tide Coldwater Detergent 50oz
Regular price: $8.49
Sale price: $6.99
Coupon: $1.50/1 [P&G 12/30] x 2 = $3.00/1
ZVR: $1.50/1 (does not double)
$6.99-$3-$1.50 = $2.49
*My general rule is that I don't pay more than $2 for a small container of laundry detergent, but I made Tide the exception for $0.49 since it is generally a more pricey detergent. 


Nabisco Snackwell Yogurt Covered Pretzels 10 pk (there are other choices for the same price)
Regular Price:  $3.29
Sale Price: $1.64
Coupon: $1/1 [like their facebook page] x 2 = $2/1
$1.64-$2 = FREE (they do not give overage on manufacturer coupons)


Crest Complete 6.2oz Scope Whitening (there were several other choices at this same price point)
Regular Price: $3.79
Sale Price: $2.49
Coupon: $0.75/1 [P&G mailed coupon booklet] x 2 = $1.50/1
ZVR: $0.50/1
$2.49-$1.50-$0.50=$0.49
*This was not technically a super double, but a good deal nonetheless and we needed toothpaste!

Crest Pro-Health Rinse, 1 Liter
Regular Price: $5.99
Sale: $4.99
Coupon: $1.50/1 [P&G 12/30] x 2 = $3/1
ZVR: $1.50/1 (does not double)
$4.99-$3-$1.50=$0.49

Gillette Fusion Shave Gel
Regular Price: 4.99
Sale: $3.99
Coupon: $1/1 [P&G 12/30] x 2 = $2/1
ZVR: $1/1 (this one didn't come off at checkout so you may need to go to customer service to get your $1).
$3.99-$2-$1=$0.99
 
Pantene Shampoo & Conditioner (2 products)
Regular Price: $4.29 ea
Sale: $3.50 ea
Coupon: $3/2 [P&G 12/30]
ZVR: $3/2
$7-$3-$3=$1 for 2 ($0.50 each)

*Coupon did not double but the sale combined with coupon and ZVR made for a great deal on shampoo. Got this for my sister, because I do not use it, but you could also donate to a homeless shelter!


K-Y Jelly (for my married friends)
Regular Price: $4.79
Coupon: $2/1 [SS 12/09; or sign up here] x 2 = $4/1
$4.79-$4 = $0.79

Herbal Essence Shampoo
Regular Price: 3.69
Sale: $2.99
Coupon: $1/1 [P&G 12/30] x 2 = $2/1
ZVR: $1/1
$2.99-$2-$1 = FREE

Garnier Fructis Body Boost Shampoo (Clearance)
Regular Price: $3.89
Clearance: $2.33
Coupon: $1/1 [printable, no longer available] x 2 = $2/1
$2.33-$2 = $0.33

Eggo Cinnamon Toast Waffles
Regular Price: $2.65
Coupon: $1.50/1 [redeem 1,000 points on kelloggsfamilyrewards.com; will talk more about this later] x 2 = $3/1

$2.65-$3 = FREE

Tyson Refrigerated Grilled Chicken Strips, 6oz
Regular Price: $3.95
Sale Price: $1.97
Coupon: $.75/1 [SS 11/4, says frozen but worked for me] x 2 = $1.50/1
$1.97-$1.50 = $0.47

Reach Waxed Floss
Regular Price: $1.45
Coupon: $1/1 [printable, found here but I no longer see it] x 2 = $2/1
$1.45-$2 = FREE

Blue Diamond Almonds (2)
Regular Price: $3.59 each
Sale: Used a raincheck for BOGO = $1.80 each
Coupon: $1/1 [received from sending in feedback to company, will talk more about this later too], they only let me use 1 coupon since 1 was technically "free" x 2 = $2/1
$3.59-$2 = $1.59/2 ($0.79 each)

Total Savings: $62.73 worth of products for only $8.63 

It is so fun and addicting to watch that number go down and the cashier uses all your coupons and VIC card. I know I mentioned ZVR several times, Kellogg family rewards, rain checks, and trading feedback for coupons; and I promise to hit on all this soon!  It's just a lot to digest, I know. Please feel free to leave any comments or questions below, and I will try to address them.  I hope you are able to use some of these deals to jump start your first super double experience!  You may also find the southernsavers.com to be a very helpful resource if it doesn't overwhelm you.

Until next time...happy shopping and happy saving!

8 comments:

  1. I am excited to start this! Hopefully I can figure it all out

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brit, do you just monitor the HT website to see whats on sale? How much warning do they give you before super doubles start???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Macy! I actually follow a blog called southernsavers.com on Facebook, and she usually posts about super doubles the weekend before they begin on Wednesday. She then posts the store specific sales and coupon combinations (several days before they are on the HT website). There are usually 3 separate blog posts for this, with a lot of information to sort through. I will be do my very best to post on here (ideally the Monday before) when these events will run and what coupons I found most useful. Feel free to follow her on Facebook, she does a great job listing all the deals!

      Delete
  3. I am sooooo impressed with you! Being a good steward of your $$!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When HT does a b1g1 deal , do they let you use two coupons ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they do. Each item automatically rings up at half price so you get credit for each item, that way you can use two different coupons. However, when I used my raincheck for almonds, he entered one item as $0 and one item at full price so I could only use one. I didn't argue because the $1 coupon doubled, and it said "do not double" so I figured I was pushing my luck, and still got the $2 off 2. Hope that helps!

      Delete
    2. Awesome ! Do they stack them too ? (1 store 1 manufac for each item ?) We just moved to the area and back home our Publix would do that but its really hard to find other stores that allow that

      Delete
    3. Yes, they allow you to use your e-vic coupons (ZVR's) as well as manufacturer coupons. The HT coupons will not double, only the manufacturer coupons, but still a great deal. Harris Teeter is definitely my favorite grocery store! The only other store I use frequently in this area that stacks store coupons and manufacturer coupons is Target.

      Delete